audreyhawkins

audreyhawkins

SPOILER ALERT!
A Discovery of Witches - Deborah Harkness I had high hopes for this, but found it less than compelling. The story was full of digressions and repetitions, and the plot lacked forward movement. The principals fell in love in the least surprising way possible (he has to protect her because she's in DANGER! and Oh, she's so stubborn and never listens to him even though he's centuries older and knows better than her!). This is formulaic, pedestrian dreck I could read in any romance novel, dressed up in historical details—a *lot* of needless historical details. To make matters worse, the romance felt decidedly Twilight-inflected. If I'm going to read something derivative, I'd like it to be derived from better stuff. And why must every novel I pick up be the first in a trilogy? Does every story need 1,200 pages split into three installments to tell it? Especially for a first foray into fiction, it seems overambitious. Harkness might have done better to start smaller. I will not be reading the rest of this trilogy, unless I find myself on a desert island with only All Souls 2 and 3 to read.