audreyhawkins

audreyhawkins

Zone One: A Novel - Colson Whitehead Personally, I love it when a literary writer takes on a genre novel. To me, literary writing and genre novels together are great taste and less filling all in one package. Whitehead can certainly craft a pleasing sentence, a startling description, a dark and poignant anecdote. The narrator constantly loops back in time to different points during the zombie apocalypse and eventually, a picture coalesces out of all the anecdotes and memories.
Ultimately, though, the book is dispiriting. One of the themes of the book seems to be that a zombie's life isn't terribly different than the lives we lead now, going from work to home to work, grimly making the rounds of gym, school, what-have-you, but I guess I'm a hard sell on that. Besides that, Whitehead may get a bit more out of it, but it's still pretty tired. The other theme that got on my nerves was the propaganda push from the recovering government. How depressing that most people in the U.S. of the novel are no longer walking and talking, but there are still plenty of marketing consultants and P.R. people?