audreyhawkins

audreyhawkins

Blood, Bones & Butter: The Inadvertent Education of a Reluctant Chef - Gabrielle Hamilton It's well-written, no doubt, and I liked the change from the other foodie-memoirs in that we didn't have to see the slow, painful acquisition of skills in an apprenticeship. Instead, we get vivid writing about delicious, simple food. But Hamilton strangely seems to elide key points in her personal life, or only give half-explanations. Exactly when and why did she become estranged from her mother? And four of her five siblings? What about coming out/coming of age as a lesbian in the 70's and 80's in rural PA, or in New York City? I would be interested to read that. And while she spent plenty of time on her relationship with her husband, I still don't see why they stayed married, except that she loves his mother. I've never read such hostile writing about a relationship that was ongoing at the time. It's startling to read what she writes about her husband and then to realize that they were still married when it was published. In any case, it's no surprise they're no longer married, and as to that last sibling she was still in touch with? Not so much anymore, I'm guessing.