audreyhawkins

audreyhawkins

When You Reach Me - Rebecca Stead Fair warning: I am biased. As a kid, I read Madeleine L'Engle's Time Quartet (the first three especially) until my copies were falling apart. This book will reach in and squeeze the heart of any L'Engle fan. Not only is Miranda a dedicated L'Englite (made that up), but the story feels just as urgent as Meg Wallace's story ever did. Next to that feat, time travel is practically a bonus. But Stead has done more than paid homage to a classic. She's created a book that remembers all the slights and frustrations of being twelve, from the petty social squabbling that feels momentous to the confusion of dealing with the grown up world of class and race when you're not quite sure what's going on. In that way, Stead reminded me of another classic author from my childhood, Judy Blume. For weaving these two together, Stead has my undying devotion. (Why not five stars, then? I have to say that I was a bit disappointed that the denouement seemed familiar from certain movies that shall here remain nameless out of spoiler considerations. I actually like these movies a lot, but was looking for something a bit more from Stead.)